Friday, January 13, 2012

turns out Michael Jackson was right... I'm not alone!

So this week I was back to teaching again and I feel a little bit better about at least one thing that's been bothering me for awhile now.  On Tuesday evenings I teach two women around the same age as me that can't make it to another class during the week.  We have only had a few classes together so far, but it usually turns into more conversation than anything else.  They are curious about how I ended up here (and married) so quickly and American culture and we always find lots of thing to talk about- which is great for them and as it turns out, great for me as well.  I have learned a few things about Valladolid that I don't think that my husband could have told me and it's different coming from a woman's perspective.  They tell me about their boyfriends (or lack of) and Spanish men.  We always find something to laugh about.

This week they confirmed what I have found to be true, in this city at least.  I had started to think that it was just me and that I am just shy... but no.  They agree that people in Valladolid are probably the unfriendliest people in all of Spain.  Turns out they are both transplants from other neighboring cities and towns in Castilla y Leon and they feel exactly the same way about the people here (in general).  Well that is a load off my mind in a way... at least I know it's not only me.  And perhaps in the future maybe they could become friends, or at least give me ideas of where to meet people who are a little more open. At the very least I've had more to talk about with them in the last two weeks than I've had to say to anyone here in the last two years.  There is one exception to this... my husband's friend is lucky enough to have a wife who isn't a complete ice cube, but our schedules are different so I don't see much of her unless we are all together on a weekend for something.

I guess it just takes time but I am starting to feel less like a leper and more like an outsider who has a bit more of a handicap than the average person here.  At least it's not the primary reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment